Jason Cox is the Director of Systems Reliability Engineering (SRE) at The Walt Disney Company in Burbank, California. He majored in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at the University of Tulsa and earned a Bachelor’s of Computer Science at the American Institute of Computer Sciences in Birmingham, Alabama. After graduation, Jason transitioned into Civil Engineering and helped transition from manual engineering and drafting to computer-aided design (CAD) building commercial and residential subdivisions, infrastructure, ponds and bridges for nearly 7 years. He later co-founded FamilyNet, Inc., a local internet service provider and web hosting startup, managing datacenters and business operations until it was sold. He relocated with his family to sunny Los Angeles to work on an M.Div. degree and shortly after took a job at The Walt Disney Company as a Systems Engineer in 2005. He is currently responsible for leading software engineers and SRE teams to provide platforms and embedded DevOps support for physical and cloud-based infrastructure, systems and applications for TWDC business segments (Studios, Parks, Imagineering, Direct to Consumer and Consumer Products & Stores).
Jason is a champion of DevOps practices, collaboration, curiosity, automation, agile and lean methodologies. He has had the privilege of speaking at several tech conferences and enjoys writing on leadership and DevOps topics. He is the author of iCurlHTTP, an iOS app for those who want to cURL on the go. He currently resides in Los Angeles with his wife and their children.
- Investments Unlimited: A Novel About DevOps, Security, Audit Compliance, and Thriving in the Digital Age. Helen Beal, Bill Bensing, Jason Cox, Michael Edenzon, Tapabrata Pal, Caleb Queern, John Rzeszotarski, Andres Vega, and John Willis. (2022). Portland, Oregon: IT Revolution. https://itrevolution.com/investments-unlimited-book/
- Thinking Environments: Evaluating Organizational Models for DevOps to Accelerate Business and Empower Workers – Jason Cox, Mark Schwartz, Jonathan Snyder, Mark Rendell, Chivas Nambiar, and Mustafa Kapadia. (2016). Portland, Oregon: IT Revolution.
- Continual Learning: Building a DevOps Inspired Career Track – Jason Cox, Chivas Nambiar, and Paula Thrasher. (2017). Portland, Oregon: IT Revolution.
- Modernizing IT Operations in the Age of DevOps – Jason Cox, Josh Atwell, Damon Edwards, Ron Forrester, Jayne Groll, Mark Imbriaco, Mark Schwartz, and Scott Willson. (2018). Portland, Oregon: IT Revolution.
- Full Stack Teams, Not Engineers – Jason Cox, Christian Posta, Cornelia Davis, Dominica DeGrandis, Jim Stoneham, Thomas A. Limoncelli. (2019). Portland, Oregon: IT Revolution.
- Framework for Incident Response: Changing the Narrative around Incidents from Blame to Learning – Scott Prugh, Erica Morrison, Shaaron Alvares, Josh Atwell, Randy Shoup, Jason Cox. (2020). Portland, Oregon: IT Revolution.
- SREcon / USENIX
- Disney Global SRE – Creating Digital Magic [San Francisco, 2022]
- DevOps Enterprise Summit
- Disney DevOps: To Infinity and Beyond [San Francisco, 2014]
- Disney DevOps: The Enterprise Awakens [San Francisco, 2015, San Francisco & London, 2016]
- Creating Digital Magic at Disney [Las Vegas & London, 2017]
- Disney DevOps: A Tale of Technology, Leadership and Community [Las Vegas, 2018, London 2019]
- Disney Global SRE – Creating Digital Magic [Las Vegas 2022] – Video Link
- NewOps Conference
- Creating Digital Magic at Disney [San Jose, 2018]
- Disney DevOps: Automating the Enterprise with Supermarket, Containers and BI [San Francisco, 2015]
- Panel: Business at Web Speed [San Francisco, 2015]
- The Devops Exchange
- Disney DevOps [Virtual, 2021] – Video Link
I believe we are all created with various and unique talents to fulfill a specific purpose in life. Our responsibility is to discover and develop our skills to the fullest potential and use those to serve each other. By doing this, I believe we fulfill our purpose and please the Creator in whose image and likeness we are made.
I believe my purpose is to use my gifts and knowledge I have gathered in science, technology, leadership and writing to help others, to elevate our human experience across the world. I will use my time to make a positive difference. I will encourage others and help them enjoy the amazing gift of life we have been given.
Be Proactive – I will not passively let life go by. I will engage in creative discovery, problem solving, innovation and action to define my path and fulfill my purpose. I will enjoy life to the fullest and help others along the way.
Be Intelligent – I will actively pursue self-improvement by adding to my knowledge through continuous education, reading and experimentation. I will humbly acknowledge my weakness and seek wisdom to make able decisions and provide helpful counsel to others.
Be Generous – I will give to others in genuine need and look for opportunities in which to invest my resources for the good of my family, friends and fellow human beings.
Be Helpful – I will look for occasions to serve others. I will acknowledge that my work produces resources for my family and extends beyond our home to the community and society in general. I will extend assistance to those in need and will look for ways to help others grow in their life to meet the purpose for which they were created.
Be Compassionate – I will acknowledge my own weaknesses and be considerate of others, especially those who are struggling or suffering. I recognize and embrace the rich diversity of our human family and will do my best to extend love, kindness, mercy and grace to all people.
Be Redemptive – I will look for opportunities to improve my environment and circle of influence. I will acknowledge my responsibility to myself and others and provide a positive impact on my environment, my surroundings, my fellow creatures, my home and my world. I will strive to elevate and to improve our human experience and condition.
Social Media Links
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasoncox3/
Ancestry of Jason Cox
Software development, large-scale high-performance computing (CPU/GPU), cloud computing, automation, immutable infrastructure, IoT embedded systems, raspberry pi, robotics, mobile app development, design, VFX pipeline, 3D modeling, animation, rendering, AI/ML, vision systems, 3D printing, blockchain, quantum mechanics, QED, theoretical and physical science, biochemistry, philosophy, ancient literature, religion, science fiction, and all things Star Wars & TRON.
END OF LINE